When it’s time to buy a home, termites can kill the excitement. Maybe you just bought a new home in Jacksonville and found out you have termites. This is no fun and it’s necessary to get rid of them fast.
Termites can take away from your home’s value and cause so much damage. Catching them early and getting rid of them can prevent things from getting too bad. Let’s look at how you can spot termites and what to do if you think your new home is infested by termites.
Common Signs of a Termite Infestation
There are many things you can look for to tell you if you have termites in your new home. Some of the most common signs include:
- Mud Tubes – Many termites will work up from the ground. If you find mud tubes on your property, it can be a sign of termites
- Swarmers – A termite colony will send out swarmers when it matures. These are the ones that can fly and also take care of reproduction. Swarms only happen twice a year, so they are easy to miss. However, if you spot swarmers, you have termites.
- Damage – Termite damage might be found outside, on ceilings, walls, or on floors. The damage may cause things to warp or sage and might look like water damage. Outside damage is usually found in shady areas where wood touches the ground.
- Mazes inside walls – When you take on renovations, look for tunnels and mazes throughout the inside parts of your walls. If you see these, it could be a sign of termites.
Anytime you buy a new home if you think there could be termites, get an inspection done. This is the best way to be sure you buy a home without termites.
A Few Tips for Preventing Termites
- Keep your mulch away from the foundation of your walls or use crushed rock instead.
- Don’t allow firewood to be close to your home and keep it off the ground
- Trim your bushes and other plans away from the foundation
- Avoid letting leaf piles stack up in your yard
- Repair any leaky spigots
- Don’t allow water to pool around your home
- Make sure you don’t have any roof leaks
What to do if the Termites are Bad
The best thing you can do if you think you have termites is to get an inspection. Once it has been confirmed, you need the help of a professional pest control team. This is a big deal and you need someone that has experience in getting rid of termites.
There may be several treatment options and it might depend on how bad the termites have gotten. A professional pest control team will be able to assess the situation and make sure you get the right treatment.
If you’re dealing with termites, Ratchet Roach can help. We can help get rid of these horrible pests that can eat your home, literally.